Working as self-employed through the Liveworks Platform in Canada

If you have joined the Liveworks platform then we have designed this article to help you understand what it means to be a self-employed worker working through the Liveworks platform in the nightlife and hospitality industry. By definition Selfemployment is the state of working for oneself rather than an employer.

You’ll have the freedom to set your own schedule, take any shifts you want and work on any venue of your choice. If you prefer to work for one single venue or multiple venues who are willing to give you shifts to work the decision is yours. Liveworks allows you the freedom to choose how, where and when you want to work. With the proper certification and skillset you can work as bartender, server, security, or any of the other positions available. 

This offers you control over your work life but it also adds some responsibilities that you have to keep in mind and that’ll we’ll go into in this article. We’ll take a  look at some of the pros of being self-employed and what your financial and tax responsibilities are. 

Pros of Being Self Employed

Freedom and Control: You set your own schedule, You apply, accept and confirm the shifts you want to work. Decide when and where you want to work. Work for one preferred venue or mix it up and take shifts from other venues as well.

Earn more money: Having the ability to work for more than one venue in Liveworks allows you the freedom to pick more shifts. By taking multiple shifts you can earn more on hourly wages but also on tips.

Tax Perks: Do you drive to work ? pay your gas ? pay your own phone bill ? Rent ? etc etc. Many of these can be deductible on your taxes allowing you to pocket more money and even pay less than if you were on a payroll. We’ll talk a little more of what is deductible.

Tax Deductions and Benefits of Self-Employed

We’ll take a look at some of the things you can deduct when tax season comes and Liveworks will always support and provide help during this period so that we can make this process as smooth as possible. We can always refer you to an accountant to help you out during tax season.

  1. Rent as a self-employed person you require an office space. This can be your home office and in some cases a portion of your rent can be deducted. Please consult with your accountant.
  2. Internet and Phone Bills Of course you get your work from your phone, This is how you apply and get your shifts. you can deduct your  phone, fax, and Internet expenses. The key is to deduct only the expenses directly related to your use of the app.
  3. Meals Do you pay for your own meals in those industry nights and night outs with your team. Keep or take a photo of receipts, they can be deducted.
  4. Vehicle Use When you use your car to drive to work and pay for gas that’s tax deductible. Make sure you keep track and records of your vehicle use for work.
  5. Publications and Subscriptions Are you signed up to any magazines or watch any shows to improve your bartending and serving skills? that’s also deductible

There are more deductions available than those listed here, but these are some of the biggest ones. Office supplies, credit card processing fees, tax preparation fees, and repairs and maintenance.

Remember, any time you’re not sure whether a cost is a legitimate self-employed expense, ask yourself, “Is this an ordinary and necessary expense in my line of work?” This is the same question the CRA will ask when examining your deductions if you are audited. If you’re not sure, seek professional help with your business tax return from a certified public accountant.

Key Responsibilities

  • Keep track and records of all your expenses related to working through the Liveworks platform. We advise that you download the Quickbooks Self-Employed app to keep track of your expenses.
  • Filing taxes is your responsibility. Liveworks will provide the necessary documents of your income that you can take your preferred accountant or contact us and we can refer you to one of our own. In addition we will help and provide support if required in all these areas. See our DIY guide to filing taxes as self-employed or Contact us if you require help with this.

Bottom Line

In the hospitality and nightlife industry with such a high turnover rate and most of the work being part-time. If you’re just doing it to earn some extra cash while attending school or simply have more money in your pocket. It will be better for you and the venue to have you as a self-employed individual. This will enable you the freedom to choose how you work, where you work, when you work and earn more money. Know that at Liveworks our main priority is to provide you with the help and support necessary to make this easier for you. You can Contact us any time to get help, support and answer any questions you may have.